If people increase their knowledge of a topic, it makes sense that they will be able to make better decisions about the subject matter. This is true of drunk driving. No one wants to be involved in a car accident because they have overindulged in alcohol.
Many states make facts and information about drunk driving available to residents. Illinois is no exception. One of the ways the state addresses this subject is by publishing drunk driving information on the website of the Illinois Secretary of State.
Here we will discuss just a few of the drunk driving facts in the hope that it can help reduce car crashes and injuries caused by drunk driving:
- Alcohol inebriation among motorists involved in fatal car accidents is four times higher during the night than it is during the day.
- On average, an alcohol-related fatality occurs in America every 53 seconds.
- At an average of 76 percent, more men than women are arrested for driving under the influence).
- Over 480 Peoria County residents were arrested for DUI in 2015.
- At 33 percent, the highest percentage of motorists who exceeded the blood alcohol concentration limit of .08 were between 21 and 24 years old.
- The total average cost associated with a single DUI conviction is $18,030.
If enough awareness about drunk driving spreads across the state, perhaps it could at least reduce the number of car accidents involving alcohol. For those already impacted by a DUI car accident, it is wise to reach out to an attorney. Doing so can provide you with information and advice about a personal injury claim.
Source: Cyber Drive Illinois, “Illinois 2017 DUI Fact Book,” accessed Sep. 27, 2017