Do you know why construction accidents happen?
On Behalf of The Law Offices of Goldfine & Bowles, P.C.
November 2, 2017
Working in the construction industry can bring great joy to your life. While it is phenomenal to enjoy your profession, here’s something to remember: An accident could happen at any time.
Since construction accidents are extremely common, you need to know what it takes to remain safe at all times. Unfortunately, even with this knowledge guiding you, there is still a chance that you could be part of an accident at some point in the future.
Here are some of the many causes of construction accidents:
- Slip-and-fall. This can happen at height, such as when working on a roof, as well as at ground level. Either way, the end result can be a serious injury.
- Falling objects. If an object falls from above, such as a shingle from a roof, it could injure a person standing below.
- Equipment accident. As you know, there are many types of equipment in use on a construction site. From power tools to vehicles, these are everywhere. As helpful as this equipment may be, it can also cause injury.
- Fires and explosions. Either of these has the potential to cause serious injury or fatalities
- Repetitive motion injuries. If you do the same job, day after day, it could lead to a repetitive motion injury.
- Heat stroke due to overexertion in hot weather. Working too many consecutive hours, especially in hot conditions, increases the likelihood of this injury.
While these are among the most common causes of construction site accidents, there are others that you should be aware of as well.
If you are part of an accident in which you suffer an injury, call for help and stay where you are until medical assistance arrives. Along with this, let your employer know what happened as soon as possible.
When you take these steps, while also learning more about your legal rights, you could find yourself in position to make a workers’ compensation claim. The money you receive will help you get by while you recover from your injury.