Tips to help you avoid car accidents during an Illinois winter
On Behalf of The Law Offices of Goldfine & Bowles, P.C.
November 8, 2017
Whether you love it or hate it, winter is a fact of life for those of us who live in Illinois. In addition to making some of us feel cold all the time, an Illinois winter often comes with unpredictable weather conditions. This can leave our roadways treacherous and cause more car accidents than might occur in warmer weather.
While some car accidents appear to be unavoidable, it makes sense to do everything possible to reduce your risk while driving in the winter. Like you, we often wonder how to accomplish this goal. We found some answers on the Illinois State Police website.
- Plan an alternate route if storms are a factor
- Stay up-to-date on the latest weather information
- Watch for patches of snow and/or ice
- Drive defensively and use more caution than usual
If you have ever been the victim of a car accident that someone else caused through recklessness or outright negligence, then you already know that an accident can happen despite your caution. We thought it prudent to add a few tips on what to do after such an accident occurs if you are physically able. This can help you acquire the maximum amount of compensation in a legal action.
- Document the accident scene and your injuries
- Call the police to report the accident
- Exchange contact information with the other vehicle operator
- Collect witness contact information if possible
- See a doctor even if you have no signs of an injury
You will find much more information about car accidents on our website. We encourage all of our readers victimized in a negligent auto accident to explore this information.