Receiving compensation from an Illinois car accident

On Behalf of The Law Offices of Goldfine & Bowles, P.C.

December 22, 2017

It is common for a driver to suffer damages due to the negligent actions of a drunk driver. As the victim of such an experience, it can feel very frustrating that you suffered so much because of the careless actions of another. In circumstances such as this when it is clear that another driver is at fault, the normal process is for you to make a claim through the at-fault driver’s insurance.

What happens when the at-fault driver is underinsured?

There can be situations when the at-fault driver is uninsured or underinsured, and therefore it is not possible to go through the normal process of making an insurance claim. In this circumstance, you will be able to receive damages from your own insurance company. In Illinois, all drivers must carry uninsured motorist coverage. This will mean that you can receive up to $20,000 in damages from your own insurance policy.

What is Dram Shop Liability?

Establishments that serve alcohol have a responsibility not to serve a person who has imbibed too much. In Illinois, it is relatively easy to recoup damages from a bar that served a drunk driver.

Can you sue the car owner if he or she was not the driver?

If a person lent one’s car to a drunk driver, the owner can be considered partly responsible, since the individual should have made sure that the driver could be trusted to operate it safely.

There are many ways in which a person can recoup damages in a car accident that was not one’s fault in Illinois. Make sure to explore all options when making a claim.

Source: FindLaw, “Sources of Compensation in a Drunk Driving Accident in Illinois,” accessed Dec. 22, 2017