Tips for driving safely in a summer rainstorm
On Behalf of The Law Offices of Goldfine & Bowles, P.C.
June 18, 2019
The summer months in Illinois bring warmer weather, as well as the possibility of rainstorms. If you find yourself behind the wheel when the rain begins to fall, you should immediately adjust your driving style to enhance your safety.
Here are five important tips to follow when driving in the rain:
- Slow down: If you do nothing else, slow down to a comfortable speed. Not only does this help prevent hydroplaning, but it also allows you to stop more quickly in the event of an emergency.
- Watch for standing water: Hitting standing water at a high rate of speed increases the likelihood of your tires losing contact with the road. This greatly increases the risk of an accident.
- Increase your following distance: Driving too closely to the vehicle in front of yours is dangerous at all times, but this is particularly true in wet conditions. Give other vehicles more space, as this helps keep everyone safe.
- Turn off cruise control: You should never use cruise control in wet conditions, as it can cause your vehicle to accelerate at an inopportune time, such as when driving through standing water.
- Keep your windshield clear: It goes without saying that you should keep your wipers on, but don’t forget to use your defogger as well. Precipitation on the outside of your windshield can lead to fog on the inside. This can make it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to see the road.
Even if you’re in the habit of following these wet weather driving tips, don’t assume that other drivers are taking as much caution. There will always be people, such as truckers, who continue to drive as if the conditions are ideal.
If you’re injured in a motor vehicle accident, move to safety and call 911. Rely on the responding officer and paramedics to take control of the scene and get you the medical assistance you require.
After you’re on the path to recovery, contact your insurance company to file a claim. Also, collect evidence associated with the accident, as this can work in your favor when seeking compensation from the negligent party.
Visit our website and read our blog to learn more about motor vehicle accidents and how to protect your legal rights.